Friday, January 04, 2008

Examples from Community Banks

This is an email from the IT Dept of a community bank in Arkansas
From:
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 11:49 AM
To:
Subject: Phishing

I just received a phone call from a person who stated that she was a representative from Experian. She said that she needed to update their records. She was given my first name from the teller who transferred the call to me and from my greeting. She asked me for my last name and if I was in charged of my location. She asked for my title, how long I have been with the bank, the last name of the teller who transferred her, and what her position in the bank is. I did not give her any of this information.

I asked her why Experian needed to verify bank information. She told me that she just needed to verify and update the banks information for the New Year. When I told her that I needed to know why she needed to verify my information and information about the bank when she works for Experian. I told her that Experian should have all of the information that they need. She asked if there was anyone else she could speak to who could verify information about the bank.

I told her that I would transfer her to Marketing and she asked for the Marketing person’s name. I gave her the first name. Then she asked for her last name, and if she was in charge of Marketing or just worked in Marketing. I told her that I would not give her that information. But, I would be happy to transfer her. When I began to transfer the call, she hung up.

Please use caution when giving out information about the bank and the Associates. Anonymity in these situations is crucial. It is important to ask questions, so do not be afraid to. Please be aware of the signs of a phishing phone call. If you get one please transfer the call to your Manager or HR.

No comments: